HOME Korean BuddhismBuddhist Essays

Buddhist Essays List

Total 149. 3 page
Buddhist Essays List
No Subject / Topic Date Read
119 10 Virtues of Vegetarianism 10 Virtues of Vegetarianism 17 Jul 2008 7,613
118 [Review] Swampland Flowers A new edition of Swampland Flowers makes available again in English the teaching of Master Dahui, a great Chinese Chan master of the 12th century. Master Dahui (1088-1163) initiated the way the hwadu (C. huat’ou) is used today. 31 Oct 2006 7,592
117 The Seon and Doctrinal Schools as Represented by M… The Mahkasyapa and Ananda that we know and recognize today reflect the values of the Seon schools that emerged much later, and are therefore different from the two who lived at the time of the Buddha. In fact, the current depictions of many people who app 30 May 2006 7,586
116 The Buddha, the first patriarch of the Seon School One of the first great challenges for Seon historians that the new Seon School faced when it was first introduced was how to put the Buddha into the hall. The writers of the Records of the Transmission of the Lamp wrestled long and hard with this problem. 23 Mar 2006 7,533
115 Without Possession We accumulate things because we need them, but sometimes our things cause us great aggravation. Thus, to possess something can mean to be possessed by that thing. When the things we accumulated through need have actually bound our freedom, we can say that 05 Mar 2010 7,528
114 Alive and . . . well . . . What’s been most comfortable and consistent in my relationship with Korean Buddhism is the general openness that welcomes my presence as a foreign layperson at temples across the country. The achim yebul (morning service) in particular was once a frighten 11 Sep 2007 7,509
113 The Titmouse’s Nest Some days ago, listening to the "ttok, ttok, ttok" sound from outside my window, I found myself as if lost in a trance. On the way out to water the tree I had been tending, I finally became aware of what had been making that noise. I saw a titmo 25 May 2006 7,506
112 "Let’s take the real one, even if it is only 1 cen… The whole world, our global village, is in chaos these days with racial and religious tensions as well as disasters killing hundreds of thousands of people. Peace and love are slowly fading away while conflict and confrontation are increasing. Living in s 31 Mar 2006 7,494
111 Irrepressible Stories of the Nuns of Mount Jiri Korean Sweet Pancake and Chrysanthemums Flowers 16 Sep 2011 7,451
110 The answers hidden by time Throughout our lives, we often reflect on scenes of times past. Every time the waves of some vaguely happy or sad memories brush up against our mind, we either try to burst out in laughter or become immersed in questioning why. What we don’t know at such 04 Dec 2006 7,443
109 Two Kinds of Homesickness One thousand or so years ago, a monk of the Silla dynasty named Hyecho made an amazing journey to what were then called the “Five Kingdoms of India.” Venturing west from China, Hyecho meandered on foot first through the pilgrimage sites of Buddhism and th 31 Oct 2007 7,435
108 The Offering Remarks on the Buddha’s Birthday Written by the Ven. Dobum Sunim, the President of the Sangha Association of Korean American Sangha in East Coast 01 Jun 2006 7,431
107 <NEW> Let Your Space Be Filled with Compassi… 2:40 a.m., Without fail, the temple begins the day with the sound of Ven. Hyenhyen’s moktak (wooden fish). Use of an alarm clock is prohibited and we must depend on the “clock of our awakened mind” to begin our day... 01 Dec 2011 7,427
106 Let us Rejoice even in the Smallest Merit Let us Rejoice even in the Smallest Merit 04 Mar 2011 7,415
105 Bhiksuni’s Role & Responsibility for the Future of… This year, 2006, is the 2550th anniversary since the Buddha’s birth. This means that Bhiksuni’s history has been nearly 2500 years. Many Bhiksunis are greatly respected today even though having arisen from a male-dominated and difficult environment. 08 Nov 2006 7,410
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Search
컨텐츠 상단으로 이동